Safety For Our Families
Elections matter, which is why we must elect strong leaders who will fight for public safety. Virginia eliminated parole for violent offenders under Governor George Allen. Rehabilitation is fine when a prisoner has indicated a sincere desire to change behavior.
But the reality is that lawless people should not be returned to the streets to hurt families and disrupt the lives of law abiding citizens. This includes people who are gang members. I will
- Support putting violent offenders in prison where they will not hurt our families and communities.
- Oppose a moratorium on the death penalty. When criminals have been found guilty in a fair trial and sentenced to death, that sentence should be carried out in a just and timely manner.
- Continue my strong defense of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. My idea of gun control is that you control your guns, and I’ll control mine. The Founders got it right. The Second Amendment is the gun law that matters the most.
- Ensure that law enforcement, fire, and safety have budgetary priority including:
- That they are properly funded and have the tools they need as our first line of defense.
- That they have the latest and best communication systems to permit effective coordination across jurisdictions.
- That the latest non-invasive technology is in their hands to apprehend criminals who threaten our children, our property, and our lives.
- That prosecutors have enhanced authority to deal swiftly with law breakers and don’t let criminals “walk” on technicalities.
- That the compensation board that supports these forces is properly funded.
- That their retirement system is updated and recognizes the major contributions these professionals bring to our community.
- That volunteer training—particularly for fire fighters—is available and comprehensive.